Alabama, Alaska, Arizona, Arkansas…

If I were possibly thinking about traveling to one location outside of California to do some shooting this summer where should that be and why?  I’m thinking about taking a long weekend and going somewhere new to shoot.  I’m looking for a place that’s totally different than Orange County.  I want barns, old buildings without fences, and no beaches!  Please leave a comment with a location suggestion if you’d really be interested in booking a session.  I get emails asking me to travel all of the time, but I want to see if the interest is really out there.  The shoot can be whatever you want it to be.  Family, engagement, head shots, just because, whatever you want!

When Brayden was 10 months old we went to our good friends wedding in Ohio.  I was so looking forward to taking pictures of B there.  Barns!  Cornfields!  Long, empty roads!  And then I got sick.  I was so bummed.  But, I still ended up going out and making my poor baby freeze while I tried to get a few shots.  Can you believe this is the same kid?

Posted in: UncategorizedPosted by:

Comments

1. Jess says

If you happen to come to the South East, let me know! I’m willing to travel if you hit Atlanta, GA or Charlotte, NC.

As far as price, most professional photographers out here in the big cities are around $300 a session. And that’s for the best! So remember that California prices may not travel well to a lower cost of living area! :)
    .-= Jess´s last blog ..Wordless Wednesday =-.

2. claire says

CANADA! come here! might not be what you had in mind;) but we would love to have you!

3. Rachel says

I am in the South as well. A small town in Alabama. My parents have cornfields, a barn, lonely roads.. etc. I would need to save up for your session!
    .-= Rachel´s last blog ..Me, Myself, and My Laziness =-.

4. I have been reading your blog for a while now, and I have learned a lot from it! You should come to North Carolina, I live in Raleigh! Love your photography!

5. Lisa says

While I do not live there currently…my heart will always be in Kentucky (Lexington to be exact). It’s got land a plenty, horse farms, old rock walls…it’s beautiful! I moved to MA 10 years ago and then married and started my own family here…so I’m here with my Yankee husband but will always call Kentucky home. Plenty of family and friends there as well if you do go to refer them to you for shoots.

6. Danielle says

I second the Lexington, KY vote! With the beautiful bluegrass, horse farms, and beautiful countryside, what more could you ask for?! Yay! I can’t wait to see where you pick.
    .-= Danielle´s last blog ..Fashionable bump =-.

7. Andrea says

I just moved to the Portland Metro area from Southern California & it is just gorgeous. Trees,trees & more trees. Along with old barns,fields, and mountain views. Autumn is a much better time though. The leaves all turn different colors.

8. Abbie says

Lexington, KY is gorgeous (I’m in Nashville right now) but we used to live in Virginia and I miss it so much! Virginia would give you a few days in gorgeous DC and Old Town Alexandria and then you could head out to the Shenandoah Valley with tons of farms, barns, fields and “mountains” (I consider the Rockies where I went to school mountains). I’m from Washington state and have traveled all over so I would definitely recommend Virginia, KY or the Northeast… I know… that really helps you doesn’t it.

9. abriana says

Come to Colorado!! The Denver-Fort Collins stretch has everything!

We have barns, cornfields, seriously beautiful light, desert surroudings, city scapes, red rocks, and most importantly, the ROCKY MOUNTAINS!!!

I am seriously looking to get our family pictures done this summer, and would LOVE if you could do them!

10. abriana says

oh, and a mom plug, but look at my blog for how cute my kid is.. he’d really add a lot to your portfolio ;) J/K at the arrogance of that, but seriously, we’d love for you to do our family portraits!

11. Heaher says

Atlanta! There is so much to do inside the city, but a short hour-drive and you’ve found the country. Middle-end of October is the best time to come during the fall color change (and the corn mazes open)! We actually just recently visited coastal OR/CA, like you I was in need of a change in scenery and it was perfect!

12. Heaher says

P.S. I would absolutly book a session!

13. Lisa says

I’m a Kentucky girl, so I have to second those who have already suggested the Bluegrass State. I’m going to be bummed if you come to Kentucky though. Because of you, I discovered Blue Lily Photography and have scheduled them to do our family portraits in Maui in June.

I would also recommend Colorado. We went to Crested Butte on vacation last year, and I’ve never seen a cuter town and the mountains are incredible. It’s the wildflower capital of the state so in July, the mountains are lit up with gorgeous flowers. It’s a photographer’s dream!

14. Tavia says

Alaska! I recommend going the last 2 weeks of July. Prepare to be blown away and to not get a lot of sleep. There is so much to do and see and the sun barely goes down so you have lots more photographic opportunities, your going and blowin the whole summer! Maybe that is why its so short….its exhausting, its BEAUTIFUL…

15. Rhea says

Lexington or Louisville, KY!

16. admin says

Gosh, there are a lot of you from Kentucky! I love Kentucky. My Grandma grew up there. After she passed away we went back to the very small town she grew up in. It was so beautiful. I am a Kentucky girl at heart!

17. Amanda says

North Carolina!!!! :) I own zero barns but Pierce says he would hang with B while you shoot!!

PS – Were you singing 50 Nifty United States with your blog title (or is that just me remembering elementary school)??!!
    .-= Amanda´s last blog ..lauren – 8 & 10 days old =-.

18. admin says

It seems that it’s between North Carolina and Kentucky right now. I love both places! I would love to meet you and Pierce though :)

PS I totally was singing 50 Nifty United States. I love that song!

19. admin says

It’s not really about So Cal prices, it’s about having to charge a travel fee to cover travel and my time. My travel fee is extremely low. So low I will probably regret it after the fact, but it would be fun to meet awesome new people and get to shoot somewhere new.

20. Catharine says

Can I swap with you? I would love urban landscape and beaches! You can have our barns, fields and empty roads in MN!
    .-= Catharine´s last blog ..Photos for Haiti =-.

21. admin says

The grass is always greener on the other side :)

22. these pictures are adorable! I would beg you to come to NC but that would not really be fair b/c I am not in a position to spend the $$ on a photoshoot this summer. It would be so perfect if I was though because I’d have my 2nd baby by then and we could do an awesome family shoot! Okay, so go somewhere else this summer and save NC for another time! haha! Good luck choosing… XoXo
    .-= Bobbie Brown´s last blog ..Brooklyn =-.

23. Heather says

Omigosh, $500 is incredibly reasonable! The best in other states still does NOT compare to your photography. But then again, I’m a little biased. I’m your biggest cheerleader Drew! =)

24. admin says

Thanks, Heather!

25. Brooke says

Um, where else could you have more FUN than coming to VERMONT!! We have the most BEAUTIFUL scenery, and it’s a total opposite from California. Barns & mountains & lush greenery galore!! Old, New England style buildings…It’s the East Coast, come on…you know you want to! :)

26. Amy says

TEXAS!!!!!! you want barns? got it. old buildings? got it. horses, tractors, old timey everything..we are just a little out of houston believe it or not! other than shooting our 3 year old and 3 month old, I have a BLAST shooting old timey stuff…you can be soooo creative! Love the blog! you rock!

27. I vote Kentucky of course!!Looks like I’ve got some people on my side too! This is so funny because I was just looking at your photography blog last night and thinking how much I’d love to do a session with you! Can’t wait to see what you pick!
    .-= elizabeth{Kentucky Mama}´s last blog ..Planning for a small kitchen =-.

28. Trisha says

WISCONSIN!!!!!
    The land of farms, fields, and country roads!!! And we don’t really do fences out here, so you’ll have free access to all the old buildings. We have old farm buildings, industrial buildings, you name it! Plus, some of the best state parks and lakes around!
    And you KNOW that I’d book a family session!!!!!

29. Drew, being in northern Indiana and having family in southern IN I would love to make it work for you to take a maternity session in Louisville, KY. Maybe you could get a couple shoots in one morning and make your trip more worth the travel costs?? Let me know your details if you do decide to come to the Midwest, I would definitely be interested.

30. Rachael says

I am telling you right now the south is the LAST place you want to be in the summer….I know it gets hot where you are (I use to live there) but the south is a WHOLE different story…
    .-= Rachael´s last blog ..…expecting the unexpected… =-.

31. Tonya says

This is all so exciting to read all the great places to consider. Drew-would it be possible if several families went together to cover your travel expenses so it would not be such a stretch? I heard of other photographers doing this when traveling across the states. They get say 5 families together and agree to share your travel expenses for a weekend say for example. Just a thought if you haven’t already considered it. And yes….you are worth it :)

32. admin says

That is exactly what I would be doing. I’m not planning on going across the country for just one session :)

33. alaska. alaska. alaska. It is the only state I haven’t been to and I am desperate for a reason to go. I could carry your camera stuff and Lulu and Brayden could run loose looking for moose and bears.
    alaska.
    book tickets.
    go.
    we’re coming with.
    .-= Julie Carson´s last blog ..pretties. =-.

34. Ruxi says

ATLANTA! There are no photographers here in Atlanta who shots like you!! (or at least I haven’t found one)

35. elizabeth says

oh, i had to check back in to see if a decision was made…..lexington, or louisville, ky! oh, and you should come when keeneland is open so you can go to the races! it’s awesome….beautiful! oh, and bring brayden….he and my daughter are close in age so they could have a play date:)
    .-= elizabeth´s last blog ..Planning for a small kitchen =-.

36. admin says

No decision yet :) Last time we were in Kentucky we stayed at a beautiful bed and breakfast in Versailles and drove past Keeneland. It’s so gorgeous there!

37. Amie *C* says

I say Massachusetts. We have barns, country roads and gorgeous historical places with cobblestone roads. Not to mention so many landmarks that make GREAT backdrops.
    Come here…and please take pictures of my family when you do ;-)

38. If you don’t want to travel far, go through Death Valley to Beatty, Nv. There’s lots to shoot there. Or you could head up to Ely, Nv. If you’re in N. Cal then maybe Tahoe/Gardnerville?Minden area of Nevada. You don’t need to shoot us, just let me tag along & learn!

39. Maggie says

Come to Idaho!! We have a very different landscape than southern California. And the people here rock!
    .-= Maggie´s last blog ..Don’t Forget! =-.

40. Trudy B says

My hubby’s family has a Christmas tree farm with a big field and old barn in Lexington. It may work for some awesome pics!

41. Lisa says

wow – who knew there were so many fellow kentucky Momtogs out there…while I don’t live there right now my heart is always there. I of course would love to see you in New England as well – it’s not all beaches here. But Kentucky would be a wonderful place to find some beautiful spots of pictures.

42. Ileana C says

I say you come over here to the Northeast! I’m in upstate NY but would travel to a nearby state for a session with you!

43. Chris says

It is really fun as a photographer to do something totally different than what we usually do! Those barn pictures above are really great I think. Who knew a barn setting could lend such great pix? Especially the last one with the tree, it just seems so magical! :)I recommend Alaska for picture taking! BEen there twice, it is just so ridiculously beautiful.
    .-= Chris´s last blog ..Bridgestone Motorcycle Tires =-.

44. MICHIGAN!!! We’re in Arizona, but we always go to Michigan in the summer to visit my in-laws. I would love to meet you there and get family pictures with our Michigan family! Picture it… old barns, cattle, fishing boats, woods, deer, posing in the middle of the street in their little town with one stop light, eating ice cream at the little walk up ice cream shop only open in the summer, seriously cool. Think city mouse meets country mouse :)
    .-= Michaela Krull´s last blog ..CH Design Studio GIVEAWAY! =-.

45. Sarah says

Raleigh area, North Carolina!!! I would love, love, love to have you here!

46. ok, so we’re not technically outside of california, but we’re definitely not oc either! i’m just 4 hours north of you in san luis obispo – think beautiful beaches with cliffs, green as far as the eye can see, vineyards and vineyards and vineyards, lots of old barns with horses grazing around. seriously beautiful. and not too far away! a great weekend away for you. and we have a sweet downtown with brick buildings with fabulous architecture. and bubble gum alley – a little cool a little gross, but amazing colorful gum-covered walls would make for great pics! ok, i’m long-winded!

47. Becky says

I vote for North Carolina! We live near Winston-Salem and my in-laws live out in the country…barn, garden, and cows are even coming soon!

48. Candace says

Throwing out a random bone here……Memphis! Ha, how is that for a dream destination? Okay, okay. So where I live isn’t exactly the most beautiful or fun place….BUT we are smack in the middle of farms and fields in three states. We have rich history of both the rock-n-roll and civil rights variety. AND there are old cotton warehouses that are gorgeous against a sunset on the Mississippi River. Not the best city, but it certainly has its charms!
    .-= Candace´s last blog ..he’s off =-.