Comments, Comments, Comments!

I recently got an email from Katy who asked:

How do I increase my blog audience/readership? Also, How do I encourage comments without seeming desperate?

One of my biggest blogging pet peeves is when people ask for comments on their blog (my other big pet peeve is when people send out unsolicited, mass emails asking me to visit their blog, but that’s a whole different topic!).  It’s just so desperate.  Really, comments are nice.  Comments are awesome.  I love getting comments.  But, do I need comments?  No.  As long as my clients love their pictures that is all that matters.  Is it nice to know that other people and photographers like me work too?  Of course!

From my experience I’ve found that you need to give comments in order to receive comments.  And not just any comments, but genuine comments.  When someone leaves an interesting or genuine comment on my blog it makes me want to visit their blog so I can learn more about them.  I really appreciate unique comments where I can tell the reader took the time to really look at my pictures.  Not just, “Great pictures!”.  I like to know what about my pictures you think is great or different.  I would also suggest finding photographers that are on your same skill level.  If you leave comments on a big time photographer’s blog who gets 200 comments a post chances are they aren’t going to be visiting all 200 commenters blogs.

If you notice, a lot of photographers who get a lot of comments are also photographers who tell the story of the clients.  It gets people more emotionally invested in the pictures.  You don’t have to be a great writer and it doesn’t have to be a novel.  Just a few words about what makes your clients different and unique is enough.

Lastly, make it easy for people to leave you comments.  Turn off the anti spamer thingy that makes you type in a code (unless you have a problem with spam, of course).  There have been several blogs that I have tried to leave comments on where I simply couldn’t get it to let me and I consider myself pretty web savvy.  There’s one certain blog format that I have a problem with.  Next time I come across it I’ll update it here.  If I’m  having a problem then your readers will probably have a problem too.  Make sure you test out your comment area to make sure it actually works!

Now, everyone go and leave Katy a comment on her blog!  Ready, set, go!

Happy Monday!

f 2.0, 1/640, ISO 125

Comments

1. Erica says

WOW!!! This pic is amazing! It is so crisp and colorful. I think he gets cuter everyday!!

2. Okay, I could so be one of those who sometimes (often?) leaves a comment that says something down the lines “great pictures!” on your blog because, well, quite frankly as I look at the pictures I see something about so many of them I love, then by the time I get to the end of the post my list of ‘loves’ is just to long! hahhaha! I do love this picture of Brayden, one of the reason is the color of his jacket, green is my fav color and it looks so awesome on him! Makes the picture pop! Okay, this comment is officially way to long now! Sorry!
    .-= Bobbie Brown´s last blog ..Miscellaneous Monday =-.

3. Katy says

It is like Christmas morning over here with all of the comments! Drew, you are the best! Not because I have readers today, but because of you! Your blog is just lovely in everyway. You are so positive and encouraging, and seriously a bright spot in my day, wether my questions is the “hot topic” or not :) Thank you from the bottom of my momtog heart!

4. Kat says

I absolutely LOVE your style of photography. Your shots are simply magical! You really do capture the true essence of your subjects! I love taking pictures of my girls, you inspire me to keep on clicking!

5. Rachel says

I am guilty of saying “great pictures”! I will try to stop.. but, your picture REALLY are great! B has some stunning eyes!
    .-= Rachel´s last blog ..Running Ramblings =-.

6. I totally agree with this post, I love hearing things like this from another’s perspective, namely yours! I appreciate all comments, but like you, I especially like hearing specifics. I think it helps me grow as a photographer. And I also dislike seeing people beg for comments, one blog I’ve seen even offers the clients a bonus picture if they get 20 comments on their blog entry. That seems kind of tacky to me, and really, are the comments sincere if you have to promise a bonus?

Keep up the good work!
    .-= Alicia Damron´s last blog ..{Personal} Snow Day =-.

7. abriana says

I agree with the desperate feeling of begging for comments. I always wonder about those 200-comments-per-post photographers. You mentioned that they entice the reader by telling the story about the couple, but I also think it’s a testament to effective branding and marketing of who they are that gives them those loyal visitors & die-hard fans!! But, I still can’t help thinking about how you mentioned somewhere that they are photographers– not like they are curing cancer!! SO true, and so funny how people work :)

8. Mindy says

I really enjoyed and appreciated this post! I’m not a commercial blogger, just love to document my family and our memories and things I think about, but it’s still good to learn what is important to other bloggers when I leave comments on their blogs. Also wanted to say what a cute picture you have here and the I love how you can tell he is really thinking because of the action in his hands and thoughtful but happy look on his face. Reminds me of my son.

9. stacy k says

Drew that was SO awesome of you :). I just checked out Katy’s blog and I am loving the blog love she’s getting from your readers! I think you are so right ~ you need to give heart felt comments to receive them…great post!

10. It’s funny that you wrote this today because I was just going out to leave fellow bloggers some blog love! Coincidence!

11. Marissa says

I noticed that you used an f2.0 in this picture, does the f-stop number really make that big of a difference? I was shooting something yesterday and was told I needed an 2.8 to really make the good picture because it was so dark. Why does one f-stop make such a big difference. Is it worth the investment to get a lens that goes that low?
    .-= Marissa´s last blog ..Ty- 2 year old =-.

12. Susan says

Oh my gosh,that photo is just the cutest!! The green in just so vibrant!

BTW, I know what you mean about comments. THey are nice to get, but not everyone wants to take the time to comment and that’s okay too :)
    .-= Susan´s last blog ..My Homekeeping Handbook Series :: Calendars =-.

13. Kim K. says

This is very well put! And I couldn’t agree with you more about the anti-spam thing. It gets very frustrating trying to return blog love when I have to do ten different things just to leave my comment. Great shot too! Love the monkey hoodie.

14. Kristi says

Is that coat from target? Its soo cute!

15. Rachael says

lol…this is awesome!

Katy, when I blog I usually leave a link on my facebook page, I get more comments there then anywhere because people are already there. Maybe try that to rack in more comment points?

As for me I try not to obsess over it…I do my blogging for me and my clients. However I am always tickled when someone comes on over and leaves a nice (thoughtful) comment.
    .-= Rachael´s last blog ..…Small Buiness Support : Hannah’s Handwork =-.

16. Drew-I was just over on Joy’s Hope and read all the fantastic things she said about you and your session together! It gave me renewed energy to be a better photog! I want to make my subjects feel like that too! Thanks for the inspiration!! I check momtog daily, it’s my #1 blog to visit!! Thanks!

17. Evie Perez says

Wow!!! This is something that I definitely needed to hear. I was just talking about this with a friend of mine. I do agree with what you said when people just leave simple comments like, “nice pictures”. I am totally guilty for that. Thank you so much for your openness and honesty.