Inspiration

I got an email from Evelyn and I really liked her question:

I am just smitten over how amazing your pictures are. You are so creative and I love how you give your pictures character!! Where do you get your ideas from? I am shooting a little boy for his spring pictures and would like to get some ideas so that his pictures are not boring.

I get my inspiration from lots of places, but the place where I get the most inspiration is from my clients themselves.  I take the time to get to know my clients and find out what inspires them.  What they love.  If you make it personal for your clients the pictures are going to be that much better because it will be their personality that is reflected.

I also get inspiration from print work (magazines and catalogs) as well as from other photographers.  While I get inspiration from other photographers I never copy another photographers idea.  No matter how good it is.  If I didn’t think of it first then it’s not mine to take.  It’s totally fine to get inspired by another photographer, but make it your own!

Last year a lot of photographers were doing engagement shoots with one big balloon.  I loved the idea, but I didn’t want to do the same thing.  So, I had the idea to use those same big balloons, but use several of them to announce the sex of my friend’s baby.

Lo and behold a bunch of people started doing the same thing to announce the sex of their baby’s or their clients baby’s.  I’m totally flattered that people liked the idea so much, but do I get annoyed?  I’m not going to lie.  A little.  I don’t lose sleep over it.  But, it is what it is and you put yourself out there that’s what is going to happen.

I have an “Inspiration Book” that I can put all of my ideas into.  Whether it’s pages that I ripped out from a magazine, pictures that I print out from online, or an idea that I want to jot down it all goes in that book.  That way I can take it to a shoot with me and look at it in my car before I’m ready to start.  It helps me focus and make a plan of what I want to accomplish on that particular shoot.

Try it!  Start your own!

Comments

1. Rachel says

I just recently read about making an inspiration book and I LOVE it!! I am so excited about trying it! I really do love this balloon picture.
    .-= Rachel´s last blog ..Digging for Gold =-.

2. What a fantastic idea! I am going to make myself a inspiration book ASAP! I always see things that inspire me, but then I forget where I found them and have nothing to reference back to! Thanks! I love this blog! :)
    .-= Megan Tyler´s last blog ..Wow what a Week… =-.

3. I love the inspiration book, what an inspired idea! haha I’ve actually had other photographers say them use them also, it is great to keep random ideas organized. I love the folder that you used, great design!

4. Brooke Brown says

Love the idea of an inspiration book (and yours is super cute :)! Can totally see how it would help to jog your memory/get you focused for a shoot. Thank you so much for sharing the idea!!

5. Emmy says

I need an inspiration book… as I am more just starting out, I will often get out on the shoot and while I think of a lot of things I wanted to do I forget the other half :)

6. Evie Perez says

Wow!!! I can’t believe you posted my question. Thank you so much for answering my question. I Just stated an inspiration book and can’t began to tell you how much it has helped me. Thanks for posting the pictures of the balloons because it’s is my favorite and I thought it was a genius idea!! I totally agree about not wanting to copy others, I mean I want to be me :) Thanks again!!!
    .-= Evie Perez´s last blog ..KATE’S PHOTOGRAPHY CLASS =-.

7. Feliz says

omgi luv the book idea!! thank u so much! and the pic too. just found out yesterday that my best friend is pregnant and i cant wait to take her pix!

8. I love the idea of an inspiration book. I loved it so much I started one tonight. Great, great, great. Thanks for the INSPIRATION.

9. Kari says

I need an inspiration book. I have several things on my computer, but so need them in print to hold in my hands. Thanks for the ideas Drew!

10. Leina says

Thanks for sharing! I think it’s a fantastic idea…especially when you do several family sessions or weddings in a row, after a while, you kind of get into a rutine and start to duplicate…

11. I love the idea of an inspiration book. I think I’ll have to get to it!
    .-= Amber Martin´s last blog ..Fitness Shoot =-.

12. Jen Hill says

Great idea. I will definitely be started an inspiration book. I have always kept all my thoughts locked inside my own head-I think it will be good to get them down in a notebook-that way they are not forgotten, and can be used. ha. And by the way–I completely understand. it sucks to be copied, esp in a competitive field. But it is flattery at the same time-i guess. ha.
    .-= Jen Hill´s last blog ..Giveaways! =-.

13. Velia says

Thanks for sharing. Love this post and the photo. I started an inspiration book the first year my son was born.

14. Jessica says

I had an inspiration book, years ago, and old ugly thing. After I read this blog, I went out and bought a new one! I’m so excited its more organized and pretty. I blogged about it, and made sure I gave you credit! :) Thanks!!

15. Nikki Studt says

Love the inspiration book concept! When I was younger & thought I wanted to get into fashion/modeling/design I had SO MANY notebooks my mom couldn’t keep up with me. Now, with your little reminder I am going to start that up again! THanks Drew, ONCE AGAIN, you rock!

16. admin says

I didn’t buy them so I have no clue where she got them. Google it. I know she got them online somewhere!