No CF card? No pictures!

There’s a handy dandy feature on your DSLR camera that can save you a lot of heartache if you turn it off.  On Canon cameras there is an option in your menu that says “Shoot w/o card”.  Turn that to “off”.  That makes it so you can’t take a picture if there’s not a card in your camera.  The shutter will not even release.  I’m sure Nikon has a fancy feature that is similar.

Even seasoned pros may have a slip up with that every once in a while.  I’m not going to name names, but a certain photographer grabbed her camera really fast to take pictures of her two year old yesterday.  They were really cute pictures and when that photographer went to review them in her LCD she realized that there was no card in her camera.  The really cute pictures were never even taken.  So sad.

Not that I know from experience or anything.  Just saying.

Comments

1. Lafleche says

I’ve done that many times! A half day at Disneyland was lost to this exact problem… I didn’t know about this feature though. Thanks for sharing!
    .-= Lafleche´s last blog ..Sisters =-.

2. Elizabeth says

Great tip! I didn’t know about this feature either
    .-= Elizabeth´s last blog ..Naptime =-.

3. Jess says

Glad to know it happens to all mommies… professionals and not! But I’m sorry you missed them 🙂 Take extra pics today of him!
    .-= Jess´s last blog ..Post It Note Tuesday =-.

4. Karlee says

Nikons do have that feature…Thank goodness 🙂

5. Heidi says

I’ve done that more than once. I only recently learned off the “Shoot w/o card” option on my 50D and I most definitely have it set to OFF now! Eeek!

6. Tina Marie says

That’s funny, I found my old film camera and took all these pictures like I was freaking Jose Villa only to find out I forgot to load the film.

7. Ana King says

It happens to the best of us!
    BTW just got the SHOOTSAC newsletter and i was like wait I know exactly who that is. I was thrilled to see you were featured on there. Congrats

8. Julie says

Hi fancy Shootsac girl!!! Awesome interview. As for the card thing… I wish it had an alarm that would beep at you before you left the house while your cards are still inside and you don’t realize it until you drive 30 minutes away for something really, really, really important.
    Because I have never, ever done that!!!
    .-= Julie´s last blog ..news flash. =-.

9. So I read this the other day, thought that my camera was on this setting. (too lazy to get up & check though) went to the pool today took some super cute pictures of Scott & Brynn in the pool. Ummm yea there was no card in there the whole time!

Go to put this setting on now! THANKS!