Are You Smarter Than A Two Year Old?

As parents of toddlers (and older kids know) getting your kids to pose for pictures is next to impossible.  Right before Brayden turned 2 he started saying, “No pictures, Mommy!” anytime I would get the camera out.  I would have to do sneak attacks to get any pictures of him.

We’ve been having some normal two year old issues lately.  Tantrums, using the word “no” excessively, and doing whatever I tell him not to do.  That got me thinking about using the tactic of reverse psychology on my kid.  And guess what?  It works.  Like a charm.  It gets him to eat.  It gets him to go potty.  It gets him to clean up his toys.  And it’s even how I get my hugs and kisses.  Last night I tried it out at the pool to get some pictures of him and, just like I thought, it worked like a charm again.  I’ve been doing this for about two weeks now and I’m really hoping it doesn’t wear off.  Please tell me it doesn’t wear off!

Here is, “Whatever you do DO NOT bring Mr. Turtle over here!”

*** All images shot with Canon 5D, 24 – 70 2.8 lens

2.8, 1/500, ISO 125

Here is, “Whatever you do DO NOT splash me!”

2.8, 1/400, ISO 125

And last, but not least, “Whatever you do DO NOT smile at the camera!”

2.8, 1/400, ISO 125

Comments

1. Beth P says

Beautiful as always! That last one is amazing! I’m trying this tactic. I get “NO, no, no! No cheese mama” with a hand up in front of his face from my son when I pull my camera out.

2. Christine says

Cute,cute,cute! Brayden is so adorable!!

3. Rachel says

Great idea!!! Do you not freak out about your camera getting wet? I do!
    Rachel´s last blog post ..JV Football games

4. Jess says

gorgeous!! And reverse psychology still works on my 5 year old. Or telling him, “oh no… you can’t pick up your toys. You aren’t big enough…” turns into “I AM big mommy! I can pick up all my toys!”
    Jess´s last blog post ..Project Fit America

5. Farrah G. says

I get my little girl to smile by saying “show me Sophia” I get the funniest pictures… It used to be only the back of her head, now I get her. She’s almost 2 now.

6. Meghan says

Have no fear – it will always work. You will just need to adjust your style as they get older. :) Colton (12), still doesn’t know it’s being used on him when I do it. :) Whatever we have to do as Moms, right?? :)
    Meghan´s last blog post ..Grant &amp Miles

7. wendy says

My son is 3 and the reverse psychology tactic is still in full swing at our house. I’m with you in hoping it doesn’t wear off because after the last year I’m not sure I remember any other methods. Adorable pictures as always!

8. Cat Watson says

Haha he is so cute! I tried this on a 7 year old a few weeks back for a family session…unfortunately he took me very literally when I told him NOT to smile. I had to try and change tactics fast!

9. Jen Imus says

Well… I’ve got good news and bad news…. The bad news is that it eventually wears off (although by the time it does there are OTHER tactics you can use!). The good news is, it apparently seems to still work with strangers as you can still get Kendall to do things with it in our shoots! :-)

10. Kelly says

This only worked for my kids for a few days…maybe a few weeks. Except for stinky kisses….still works for that even a year later. Anytime I need a kiss, I just beg that they not give me a stinky kiss and I get my kiss fix.
    Kelly´s last blog post ..A Wonderful View