Fancy Pictures

Even if you are a mommy blogger and not a professional photographer, it’s a good idea to mark your images.  I’m not a fan of big watermarks that take away from the picture, but a little one that let’s people know who took the picture is a great idea.  That way if someone steals your picture and does not give you credit, they should be able to trace it back to the person who took it.

Making a logo brush is easy!  The only thing you’ll need is Photoshop.  Just follow these easy steps and in less than 5 minutes you’ll have your own, fancy watermark!

1)  In Photoshop create a new document (click “file” and scroll down to “new”).  You can make it whatever size you’d like, but the key to this step is to make sure you make the background “transparent”.

2)  Click the “type” tool and then choose the font you’d like to use.

3)  Adjust the size of the font and the color.

4)  If you have multiple layers make sure to flatten them (Select “layer” and then “flatten image”).  Then click “edit” and scroll down to “define brush preset”.

5)  Name your brush whatever you’d like and now it is saved under your brush tools.  You’ve just done all the hard work!

6)  Now, you can close the image you just created and open up any web ready image.  Click on the “brush” tool and you’ll see the watermark you created at the very end.

7)  Simply click on the area of the image where you want your watermark and, wala!  You did it!  Now your photo looks all professional and fancy!

8)  Be sure to save your image as a “copy” or under a new name so you do not save over the original image with your watermark.

Have fun making all your pictures look super professional and fancy!

Comments

1. Rebecca says

Thank you so much for posting this!!! I just found lots of my pictures on an estranged family member’s facebook page the other day and it really upset me that he had copied/pasted and stolen! So, lesson learned…watermark it all!

2. Amy says

Wow, you’re brilliant. I had never even though about making it into a brush. So smart! I’m not sure if I want to start watermarking my photos or not. I’ve had some people say I should, but I feel like it distracts from the image no matter how small it is, and I’m not really sure if my photos are good enough to need one.
    Amy´s last blog post ..365 Project Days 10-16

3. Thank you so much for posting this! I am a total wanna-be photographer/Mommy photographer and this is something I have been trying to figure out! Great tutorial…so easy to follow!

4. susan d. says

great tutorial and advice. however, i say WATERMARK over your subject. i did this for awhile then i started putting my watermark off to the side because I didn’t want to detract from the subject. recently in my area (VA), there was a local photographer stealing images from other photographers in other states where she easily cloned out watermarks that were placed in the corners in whitespace, like you demonstrate above. she then placed her own watermark across the subjects and used those in her portfolio/internet, etc. so i’m back to watermarking on the subject. =0)

5. Anastasia says

Hi!
    Thanks a lot for this post. Would you have a suggestion what mywsyermark could be? Putting Photography in there would some how imply professionalism (and i am a mom blogger) my name is too long, I think: Anastasia astridge
    All my photos go onto my blog and flickr. My blog is called “documenting life … As it unfolds”
    I also create scrapbooking digital books for my family eith art joufnals and photos that are about. Parenting, one ljne journals and my newest kne is a projecf Happy weekend – just to givd you an idea of the bredth of images i take. It’s about 50/50 iphone anx dslr
    I would be really greatful for any ideas!

6. Jess says

Hi! I also started watermarking because distant relatives were actually taking credit for photos that I took and posted on FB from a family function. I have a little graphic logo with my initials, and I use iwatermark to mark my photos, it’s a $20 program available for mac and pc, and they have an iphone app too for 99 cents, which as been very useful in uploading to my tumblr directly from my phone. I don’t have photoshop, I do have elements which I have yet to learn how to use, so iwatermark has been really good in the meantime.

7. Amanda says

OMG! I LOVE LOVE LOVE this tutorial and love the brush stamp!! I had been using a separate file to add another layer! This is so much faster. (I also like the stamping motion!!)
    Amanda´s last blog post ..the playroom!!

8. rhonda says

Thank you!! I assume the basic photoshop is able to do this? I am about to invest in one of the photoshops and want to make sure I get the correct one…
    rhonda´s last blog post ..These are the days I prayed for

9. noel says

I watermark EVERYTHING after my images of my daughter were stolen from a Chinese hat company! Actually that image was watermarked, it was cropped out so now I watermark right thru…it may be distracting but after that I don’t care!!! :) If people want to steal they will, but it’s easier to fight when your name is ON the image.

10. Jessica says

This is MARVELOUS! Thank you so much for this one! I created my own brush right away and have begun adding my stamp to each picture to go on my blog. I’m not wearing a photographer hat right now, but you made a great point about marking your images. I actually had an online magazine contact me as one of their interns had taken a photo off my blog and was using it in an article. (The editor was really great and offered to take it down or pay me the usual stock photo fee.) My brush stamp reads simply “Jessica Kantola Photo.” Thanks again, Drew!
    Jessica´s last blog post ..Thousand Words Wednesday

11. Christine says

Great Tutorial! Thank you. FYI, it also works just as well on Photoshop Elements for us moms who aren’t ready to invest in the full blown Photoshop yet. Instead of “define brush preset” it’s just under Edit -> “define brush” otherwise it all works out exactly the same. Thank you for sharing!!
    Christine´s last blog post ..Thank Heaven for Good Neighbors

12. natalie says

OY! I don’t know what I am doing wrong, but after 1 1/2 hours, I still can’t figure it out. ‘define brush preset’ is not an option for me to click on (it’s there, but it is grayed out, and not clickable) I know it is an user error, I just can’t figure out why.
    natalie´s last blog post ..january girls dinner- Piece

13. Shirley K. says

Nice! This was a helpful little tutorial. Although I don’t feel like a big-time enough blogger to watermark anything, because then that makes it seem like my pictures are actually worth stealing or something. Heh. By the way, just found your blog through exploring blogs in Google Reader and I like it!

14. becky says

AWESOME tutorial!!! Your website is so creative and helpful.
    One question….Can you not use color in the stamp… i have mine pink but when i use it the font is all black??

15. Anna Beier says

I have found this tutorial vey helpful but I have Photoshop Elements 10 and I have found that I don’t have the option to “define brush preset”. My version only has the option of “define brush”. I feel like because of this I can’t keep my brushes. If I change between the types of brushes my saved brush disappears. Any ideas how to get around this? Thank you for any help you can provide.