YOU Were the Remedy!

“Each one of you has your own platform. Do not let the trappings here fool you. Mine is a stage in a studio, yours is wherever you are with your own reach, however small or however large that reach is. Maybe it’s 20 people, maybe it’s 30 people, 40 people, your family, your friends, your neighbors, your classmates, your classroom, your co-workers. Wherever you are, that is your platform, your stage, your circle of influence. That is your talk show, and that is where your power lies. In every way, in every day, you are showing people exactly who you are. You’re letting your life speak for you. And when you do that, you will receive in direct proportion to how you give in whatever platform you have.” – Oprah Winfrey

As a mom, I want my children to be kind and compassionate.  I want them to understand the joy of giving and not just receiving.  I want them to know that one person can make a difference no matter how small or big their voice is.

I love helping others.  I love giving.  And I’m fortunate that you all keep coming back and reading what I have to say giving me a small voice in this blogging community.  I want to use that voice to do what I can to help others.

I’m not going to lie.  I was a bit disappointed with the outcome of Soul 4 the South.  When I did the math in my head I thought we could raise SO much money.  We could help SO many people.  If everyone who stopped by here donated $10 we could raise $20,000.  I realize that people are hurting now.  Times are tough.  But, $10 is skipping your trip to Starbucks twice one week.  Or bringing lunch to work rather than eating out.  Especially with the chance to win such great prizes.

And then my friend sent me some encouraging words and a link to this post.  It made sense.  I got over being disappointed and realized that whatever we raised was going to help someone and that’s all that mattered.

I didn’t quite realize how much until last night when I got an email from BeRemedy telling me how far the money we helped raise went.  How WE, together, with just small donations of $10 were able to help Nathan, a single Dad of four in Joplin recently diagnosed with cancer get back on his feet.  Every single donation of $10 helped.  YOU helped to change their lives.

So, know that whatever you give or do, no matter how small can add up to something big.  Thanks to each and every one of you who donated, helped spread the word, and to our amazing vendors for making this possible!  I’m happy to have been a small part of this and I hope you are too.

Posted in: UncategorizedPosted by:

Comments

1. Fiona says

Hi

I just wanted to reiterate the conclusion you have come to now anyway. You shouldnt be disheartened. I am a regular reader of your blog and thought soul 4 the south was a brilliant idea. But, being in Australia, I had just donated to our own disaster relief appeal for the poor folks who lost everything in the Queensland floods. As well, a number of the prizes offered were not really able to be redeemed by international readers. So although your appeal really was fantastic, and reading Nathan’s story brings a tear to my eye, I guess its just worth remembering that most folks are trying to help, in their own way :)

2. Rory says

Drew,

As someone from Joplin (my dad’s business was totally destroyed) I appreciate your giving. I also wanted to reiterate your point. It’s easier to find clarity in things when explaining them to kids. When it came to my daughter who is 5 and was so upset that her Papa lost his work and so many people lost their house and her cousin lost her Elementary School, I told her we could pray and we could give what we had. While she helped me put together immediate needs like toothbrushes and granola bars, she continues to want to help. Every spare coin she finds, she wants to give to the people that lost their houses. Who am I to tell her that a few nickels and pennies won’t help? The important thing is to give what you have, what you can give and to give it with all your heart! And that’s what she is doing and that’s what you are doing!

3. Drew,
    It was such an honor to work with you on this project. I too shared in your disappointment in the lack of response and wish we had received a larger number of donations. Although I understand Fiona’s point above it really shouldn’t be about the prize, I hope it is more about the people we helped. Thank you to you and everyone who helped. I am so happy we were able to help this family!
    God bless you,
    Angie
    Angie Sandy´s last blog post ..Father’s Day 2011 Around the Web

4. Anna says

I agree with you that what ever we do it’s affect someone out there even though we don’t know how. thank you for exiting post <3
    Anna´s last blog post ..What makes a good relationship

5. Katie says

Thank you Drew! I was so happy to be a part of such a great cause. $50 or $50,000 every little bit helps! <3

6. Brandi B says

Thank you for sharing this. You did something truly out of the goodness of your heart and although the funds raised weren’t as much as you’d hoped, you’ve seen how they truly did made a difference to this family. How inspiring. And I’m guessing that your efforts inspired other events, prayers and givings that you aren’t even aware of. Thanks again for giving all of us the chance to help give back!

7. Marisa D. says

I think what you did was fantastic! Sometimes when you aren’t immediately affected you forget what people are going through, or sometimes you just don’t know how to help. Thank you for allowing me to help….each little dollar adds up and can really make a difference to someone, no matter how big or small.