Happy One Month Birthday, Kennedy!

Dear Kennedy,

I know it sounds cliche, but I honestly can’t believe you are a month old. In one way it seems like you’ve been with our family forever. You are a perfect fit. In another way, it seems like you were born just yesterday. Every day that goes by my heart aches a little because I know you are getting bigger. And with getting bigger you will grow more independent and no longer be my baby. I guess it’s just so bitter sweet because I know you are my last. Instead of rushing through to the next step, I’m just cherishing every second I have with you.  To hold you in my arms.  Because I know in the blink of an eye you will be running around and won’t have time to stop and let me hold and cuddle you.

So far, you’ve outgrown newborn clothes and newborn diapers, rolled over from tummy to back, sleep at least one 4 hour stretch a night (sometimes 5), and can hold your head up pretty well. I’ve found your ticklish spot (on your cheek) and it makes you smile a little. I think we’ve decided that you are for sure a redhead although we have no idea what color your eyes are. Sometimes they look blue and sometimes they look brown. We have found a new nickname for you. Turtle. Because sometimes your little, round head makes you look like a turtle.

Everyone told me that my heart would grow to accommodate you. I didn’t think there was enough room in my heart to love you the way I love your brother. But, they were right. I can’t imagine my life without you. You are my little girl that I have hoped and wished for since I was a little girl.

Love,

Mommy

Canon 5D, 50 1.2

F 2.8, 1/800, ISO 125

Taken with remote trigger

Comments

1. Jess says

With my first, I couldn’t wait until she rolled over, sat up, crawled, ate baby food, took first steps, got first teeth. Then, like you, with my second, I couldn’t believe all that happens so fast! And you just want to freeze time!
    Jess´s last blog post ..And It’s A…..

2. Ashleigh says

OK, I’m sold! Now I really want to run out and go get a remote trigger. :) Not that my 1 year old would sit still long enough for me to get a shot like this. But this pic is sooo beautiful it at least makes me want to try!

3. ella says

This is so sweet, I think every mommy of every little girl has experienced this moment which cannot be compared to anything else. Happy Bday :)
    ella´s last blog post ..An Event Proposal Template You Can Use

4. Amy says

Wow, it’s hard to believe she’s already a month old! I love the photo! I’m so glad you bought that remote! :-D
    Amy´s last blog post ..Edit Me Challenge #17

5. Jill says

Great post! I love how real and honest your picture is, showing you as a woman who just had a baby one month ago. You both look beautiful and I am in love with the photo! Thank you so much for sharing!

6. Nicole H says

I am a huge fan of your work and your website, but have probably only commented on 1 or 2 of your posts in the last 3 years. I love the sentiments and the picture in your post, but I had to comment on the nickname! My daughter, Andrea is 7 years old and we have called her Turtle since she was about 3 weeks old. Everyone we know calls her Turtle! She has turtle collections, clothing, earrings, and for her 1st Halloween we made a turtle costume for her. I know someday she will hate it and tell us to stop calling her that (at least in public) but for now, it is a huge part of who she is! I loved seeing the same nickname in your post! Congratulations!

7. jamie says

Awesome picture. I have the Canon7D, and I used the self timer for the first time this week. I am going to keep practicing with it, so that I can get some pics. of my with my little one.
    jamie´s last blog post ..09.09.11

8. Happy 1 month, Kennedy! You aren’t kidding…it goes by SO fast. It seems like just yesterday that my baby was 1 month old. But, today she turned 3. I can’t believe it!

9. Natalie Blalock says

Love this drew…your sentiment is so sweet and loving :)

10. Kari S says

I LOVE this Drew! my sentiments exactly with the way I feel about Brynlee. We should chat one day, our birth stories are almost identical and our girls are 2 days apart and both our 2nds!

11. Jessica says

Wait wait wait .. how is she a month already!? It seems to ME that just yesterday I was reading your blog about just having her ;( time flies so fast! I dont cry easy but I almost teared up with this post. It was so sweet and loving it broke my heart – (in a good way). I hope one day when shes bigger and can cherish such thoughts that this brings a smile to her face knowing her mommy loves her soooo much :)

12. Jo says

The photo is plain beautiful! My 18 month old loves to fall asleep when I’m holding her, and sometimes I think “well come on, you’re a big girl” but then I realize that she’ll grow up in a “second”, so why not enjoy the extra time she’s in my arms!
    Jo´s last blog post ..Growth in High-Pressure Sodium (HPS) lights

13. Larissa says

Wow..this photo is amazing!!!! I feel the same way by the way with my 3 months baby girl….a bitter sweet…. she’s growing up so fast….
    Larissa´s last blog post ..Hottest Nail Colors for summer 2011