It only took me 10 months to finish this project. I started this gallery wall in my bedroom last June. I waited to finish it until after Kennedy was born because I knew I’d want some pictures of her in it. Kennedy was born in August. Sigh. And as you’ve probably seen in the background of a lot of my pictures it’s been unfinished for a long time! So embarrassing. But, I’m happy to say it’s finally done!
A couple of years ago I bought a ton of frames from Goodwill for this shoot. I bought the frames with the super ugly prints and paintings. I bought the most ornate ones I could find. I love how pretty they are.
The 7 frames on this wall maybe cost $40.
I laid out all the frames I had on the floor and moved them around like puzzle pieces until they lined up the way I wanted. Then I enlisted the husband to spray paint them and hang them for me.
The tricky part about some of these frames is that they aren’t standard print sizes. So I had to order a standard size print and then cut it down. In Photoshop I:
1) Made a new document that was sized to the standard size print from my lab. For instance, one of my frames had an opening of 19.5″ wide and 13.5″ tall. That’s not a standard print size. The next print size up is a 20×20. So, I made a new document in Photoshop that was sized to 20×20:
2) I then opened my print as a separate document and cropped it to 19.5″ wide and 13.5″ tall. Since all images that come out of a DSLR camera are in a 4×6 ratio I knew that there would be a little cropping of my image.
Here’s the finished product: