Your Camera Takes Great Pictures

I get that all the time.  “Your camera takes great pictures!”.  But, the camera can’t take great pictures if the person behind the camera doesn’t know how to use it.

I borrowed my old Canon 30D from my BFF yesterday.  I shot this image with the 30D and her 50 1.4 at around 5pm without a lot of available light.

*** Canon 30D , 50 1.4

F 2.0, 1/160, ISO 800

This image is straight out of camera

I hear so many moms wanting to break the bank for a nicer camera.  My advice is to buy what you can afford and then master that camera.  Learn how to shoot manual and you don’t need to go bankrupt buying camera equipment.  Because the best camera and lens isn’t going to take better pictures if you don’t know how to use it!

Comments

1. Amory says

the pigtails are too much!
    Well said! It’s always tempting to think you can “buy” a better image but hardwork is the true secret!

2. Alicia says

The worse non-complement to a photographer! Arg. I hate that one. Was just told that this week. I’m never really sure how to respond.

3. Cara says

AMEN!! I get asked all of the time when I am going to upgrade my camera…and yes while I would love to upgrade, because I actually HAVE grown out of my rebel xsi I feel like I still get great shots out of it and until I need, need, need a new one (as in mine breaks)…I can wait. I actually sort of love keeping the ol’ rebel because when people give me the comment “you must have an awesome camera” I can respond “who me no no, it is so old and outdated…you actually have a nicer and newer camera than me!” That gets em’ every time 🙂

4. such a cute pic!

it is such a hard thing to hear. there’s so many topics that i think are aweful to say to a photographer, but that one is right up there on my list.

i’ve even had people ask me if they can borrow my camera to take pictures of their kids/families. instead of just hiriing me. such a blow!
    Andrea Worley´s last blog post ..miracles & blessings.

5. Jamie says

Everything about this photo is awesome! I can’t get enough of those pigtails!!! I just want to jump through my computer and give her a big hug and kiss! 🙂
    Jamie´s last blog post ..Pa’s Pumpkin Patch

6. JRH says

good point and great pic. I was wondering…where did you focus in this shot? I’m having a hard time with moving kiddos to know where to focus and what focus mode on my camera works best. Thanks for the encouragement.

7. Jeanne says

By no means am I remotely a professional photographer and I get that a lot. One of the best tips I ever heard regarding photography is “The best investment in your photography career is to invest in lessons”. I whole heatedly agree. Most Rebel or entry level DSLR can take beautiful photos.

Love the spikey piggy tails!

8. Hannah says

Thank you for this post!
    I’m still learning on my little Canon Rebel T1i and I’m definitely guilty of wanting to ‘break the bank’ thinking it will get me better photos!
    Thanks for the reminder and the encouragement!
    Hannah´s last blog post ..Shabby Chic Shower

9. nikki says

JUST this week I was starting to consider upgrading my 7-year old Nikon D70s. But I questioned – could I *really* get better photos with a more expensive camera? I spontaneously dove into my “studies” again, dusted off my manual, read a few inspiring articles and began doing EVERYTHING in manual mode. I’m an amateur/hobbyist and I have completely fallen back in love with my camera. Besides, I know it like the back of my hand – why abandon such a good, old friend? 🙂 Thank you for your additional vote of confidence that was SO timely.
    nikki´s last blog post ..Raising Tomatoes, Part III

10. DrewB says

I always focus on the eyes!

11. Lisa says

Love this post, and I too cringe when people say that to me. I have this wonderful picture of my son when he was about 18 months old at a baseball park that hangs in our living room and everyone loves it. People are amazed when I tell them I took it with my first digital camera….a Sony Cybershot that was only 5 megapixels!
    Lisa´s last blog post ..Weddings