Small Anchors

Sharing this from Facebook:

I know you all are as upset and distraught over what happened in Newtown as I am. I am mad. I am frustrated. I am ready to see change happen NOW. But, I get completely overwhelmed when I begin to think about all that has to be done to change gun regulations and help those with mental health issues. I saw a tweet from Ann Curry encouraging others to do 26 acts of kindness in memory of those that lost their lives at Sandy Hook. So, while I may not be able to lobby for gun control I can do a small act of kindness in memory of those 20 babies and the 6 heros that died while trying to protect them. I will say each of their names out loud because they were people with dreams and aspirations and had people who they loved and people that loved them. They are not just victims.

Our first act of kindness is in honor of Vicki Soto. She loved her dog, Roxie, so we are donating blankets to our local animal shelter.
Our second act of kindness is in honor of Olivia Engel.  After an extensive search I secured a copy of our favorite book, Rainbow Rob. It will go to Brayden’s classroom in memory of Olivia who loved reading and also had a brother named Brayden.
I’m not rushing my 26 Acts.  If it takes us a month, it takes us a month.  I want each and every one to be perfect.  Be it spontaneous or planned out, I want each one to reflect each person whose lives were cut too short.  I hope you will take the time to participate as well.  And I hope you will get your children involved.  They don’t need to know what happened.  Brayden doesn’t.  He is too young and I will not allow this to be on his heart.  But, I really feel that if each of us leads by example and shows our children and those around us kindness each and every day we can help change our country.  Because a small anchor really can make big waves.
*** If you are tempted to leave a comment about your views of gun control (or lack thereof), mental healthcare, or anything that is hateful your comment will be promptly deleted so please don’t waste your energy.  Instead go out and do something good with that energy.

Comments

1. Jessica says

Tomorrow is my birthday and we plan to go out to eat and pick another table to pay for. I will ask the server to bring me their check and place a card in theirs. I’m not sure what the card will say but something about overcoming the sadness in our world today by spreading kindness.

2. Jess says

Wonderful idea! I feel so helpless here in South Carolina, not knowing what I can do to show those families in CT that the entire nation loves them and is grieving with them.
    Jess´s last blog post ..Ten on 10: December Instagram

3. I LOVE how you are doing them so intentionally for each child/adult. Amazing. That is truly incredible!
    I am also doing 26 Acts of Kindness & saying the name as I do it. I am hoping to get them done before Christmas. I am using several of the ideas that you did when you did your 31 for your 31st, so thank you for sharing those ideas! (I linked back to that post on my blog)
    You are awesome Drew, thank for the inspiration!!
    Mel @ The Larson Lingo´s last blog post ..26 Acts of Kindness

4. krista says

i absolutely love this idea. i have two kids and i have been trying to give myself a little time to process all of this, and i know this is the way i can do it. thank you for posting! :)

5. Melanie says

I think this is such an amazing thing to do to honor those children and teachers we lost. I don’t understand how anyone can have anything negative to say about this. It’s a wonderful thing to do.
    Melanie´s last blog post ..52 Week Photo Project ~ Week 51 ~ Jewels

6. Kaley says

This is so amazing. I love that you are taking the time to know each of the victims, instead of lumping them all together in one big group. Each victim, was somebody’s baby, somebody’s sibling, somebody’s mom. They deserve to be remembered for the people that they were, not the tragedy that took their lives.

7. Sara says

What a lovely tribute.

8. Kim says

I love this and we too will start tomorrow.

9. Meg T says

So wonderful. Thanks for sharing this.

10. Holly says

You brought tears to my eyes! I am a teacher and have been just trying to get to this evening…a much needed break. I hadn’t heard about the random acts of kindness. Of course this is close to my heart knowing that it could have been me just as easily. I will be watching to see what you do and hope to do similar acts of kindness over here on the east coast :] Thank you for doing this and inspiring more people like me :] Love the personal connection and getting to know all of the people.

11. georgia says

i was also going to tell you about the olivia act when i saw this post…
    but i see dawn already beat me to it above.

love what you’re doing, too. such a tragic time for our country… one that can only be met with kindness and action. so good for you! looking forward to seeing the other 24 acts you will do. such an inspiration.
    georgia´s last blog post ..they’d suddenly become my favorite things

12. Becky says

I know that this may not be a popular opinion, but there were actually 27 victims on that day. I think it would be extra kind to honor the fact that the shooters brother lost his mother in this horrible act of violence that day as well. I’m not trying to be inflammatory, I just think that he is hurting as well, in ways no one could dare comprehend.
    Becky´s last blog post ..Not a holiday song

13. DrewB says

Becky – So when you do your Acts of Kindness you can do 27. You are entitled to your opinion and I am entitled to mine. It’s that simple.