She’s Lucky She’s Cute

I threw my back out today.  Which sucks.  And makes me feel really old.  All I was doing was leaning over to pick up my 18 month old.  And pop.  Couldn’t move.

And you know what sucks when you throw your back out?  An 18 month old who throws massive tantrums.  The tantrums sucked when my back was normal.  Now when she goes limp as I’m trying to keep her safe from getting run over by cars in a parking lot I can’t even stand up.  Yeah.  I’m a horrible mom because I won’t let my 18 month old run through the parking lot without holding hands.

I remember going through this phase with Brayden.  He hated being put into his car seat.  I had to use all of my body weight just to get him strapped in.  He grew out of eventually.  I hope Kennedy will too.  But, when you’re in the midst of it, it sucks.

And you know what else sucks.  When you’re kid is throwing a huge massive tantrum and other moms just look at you.  Like their kid has never done it before.  Or when a mom whose kid happened to have MASSIVE tantrums at the indoor pool for the first 3 weeks of swim lessons let’s her son come up to you and say, “Wow.  Your baby is really loud.”.  Really, kid?  Thanks.

Rant over.

Bad mom because I made her hold my hand across a sketchy bridge over a gross stagnant creek.

Canon 5D Mark II, 50 1.2

F 2.0, 1/800, ISO 125

IMG_0439 copy

Bad mom because I took her to the beach.

Canon 5D Mark II, 50 1.2

F 2.0, 1/6400, ISO 125

IMG_1975 copy

Bad mom because I made her go on Toy Story.

Canon 5D Mark II, 24-70 2.8

F 2.8, 1/250, ISO 800

IMG_8364-2 copy

Bad mom because I made her go to her brother’s birthday party with her two favorite mice in the world.

Canon 5D Mark II, 24-70 2.8

F 3.5, 1/400, ISO 200

IMG_8607 copy

Thankfully she’s really cute when I’m being a good mom and letting her do what she wants to do.

Canon 5D Mark II, 24-70 2.8

F 2.8, 1/250, ISO 1000

IMG_0928 copy

Posted in: UncategorizedPosted by:

Comments

1. courtney says

ahhh, hahaha. i love this! one of my favorite posts of yours, i think! she is just way. too. cute. and dude, i even *told* a mom one time, (while my 3 yr old was having a tantrum)…. “please. you know your kid has done this, too….” she just kept giving me the stink eye. whatever. we all go through it. i always, always try and smile that, ” i’ve been there, done that” smile to mommas who i see that are going through it! hope she grows out of it soon for you. sorry for the short book left on here :D

xo!

2. Melissa D says

Hey, we should start a bad moms club!! Actually, we just had a childless weekend at Disney for the Princess Half Marathon 2 weeks ago and as we were in the parks, we started pointing out spots where our 2 year old has thrown a fit. Kind of like finding hidden Mickeys.

Do you think we will long for the tantrum days when they become teenagers? That scares me most if all!

Melissa

3. Cathy C. says

Thanks for this. My 15-month-old daughter cries every day and throws a fit when she LEAVES daycare. I thought kids were supposed to cry when you drop them off? At least I’m not the only one whose kid throws a fit at inappropriate times. My daughter is a redhead too. Maybe it’s a redhead thing! :)

4. Alicia says

We are right there with you! She’ll even continue the fit on the few times I give in and give her what she wants. It’s exhausting! I hope your back feels better soon–that has to be miserable!
    Alicia´s last blog post ..The New Girl

5. sofia says

” she’s lucky she´s cute” hahaha I say that to mine little girl … specially when she comes to wake me up at 6am but not my partner because as she says: “shhh.. daddy is sleeping”

Loved this post!!

I can join the bad mum club too… such a *terrible* mum because i make her hold my hand when crossing the street, or put her in a car seat when we drive.. lol..

Oh! and the back thing..uff I get you!.. I threw mine holding her as if she was a little baby a few months ago, and it was sooo painful, ( a rib moved a little and took like 5 chiropractor sessions to fix it!)

6. Jess says

Keep being just the mom that you are :) K will end up realizing that you really are a good mom all the time :) It just might be when she’s a mom herself!
    Jess´s last blog post ..Happy Perry the Platypus Day

7. Marisa David says

I’m totally going to start capturing the tantrum moments more….there are oh so many! Apparently I too am always doing something wrong :)

8. Lindsey says

Oh I love this post so much because we are in the EXACT same phase!! tantrums over carseats. Tantrums over bedtime. Tantrums over bathtime. Tantrums over handholding. Tantrums over EVERYTHING. It does pass, but it does suck and sometimes it sucks every last bit of energy out of you!

Hope your back feels better! Try some tiger balm (but not right after a hot shower or bath…it burnnnnns)!

9. Leah says

Don’t worry, I’m sure Kennedy will grow out of it. You’re an awesome mom for taking her all those places (and with a sore back!). She’s too cute! Where did you find those shoes in the first picture? I absolutely love them and they would look cute on my little girl too!

10. J. says

Oh I know exactly what you’re talking about (well minus the throwing your back out). My daughter is 2.5 and is definitely in that terrible two tantrum stage and has been for a while. Thankfully it never really happens in public *knocks on wood* but oh it’s scary lol.

Your daughter is a cutie though! ;)
    J.´s last blog post ..002.

11. Shelly C says

Don’t beat yourself up. We’ve all been there! Well, I haven’t thrown out my back (yet). But my 2.5yo is a pro at throwing tantrums. I wish I could share some pics of him that I took throwing a fit last summer. I couldn’t help but laugh out loud as I was snapping away. Photo journalism at its best… capturing real life moments.

12. Nana says

I think Charlie was just about that age when I had the popping back sound . . . it really does suck! Sorry Nana

13. Shirley K says

I say you’re building character. :)

14. skye says

Gee I know the feeling. Except in my case, I’m 29 weeks pregnant, my back & tail bone hurt (ugh i know!) – and I am exhausted all the time – Add in a 2 and half year old screaming toddler girl … and you have a Mama that wants to run away LOL! But then I look at my beautiful daughter – and it’s ALL ok. Her face makes it all good in the end. It’s worth it. :)
    skye´s last blog post ..R.I.P. Dad

15. Nicole Wolny says

Hey drew, totally unrelated to your adorable photos (ps- I love recording all moments, even the crying ones :-), but do you happen to know the name of the wall color in your bedroom, I love it!

16. Leticia says

Love the pictures! So sorry about your back! Kennedy and my daughter are the same age so I know exactly what you’re going through with the tantrums and physical ailments. It’s like I’m reading about my life only my problem is in my neck. I can barely turn my head right now.
    I just try to capture as many of these moments as I can so I can show them to her later (and possibly use them to embarrass or even bribe her during the teenage years:-)

17. Liz says

These photos totally cracked me up! Way to make toddler tantrums beautiful and funny ;) Hang in there, ALL kids through tantrums at some point; it’s not because you’re a bad mom ;)

PS: I’m a swimming instructor and I’m more shocked at the kids that *don’t* throw a tantrum during their first several weeks of lessons!

18. Lorena Mora says

Love this post! My kids throw tantrums all the time, they did that to me last night at the market because I was being a horrible mother and not buying chips for them! You know because I care about what they eat, ugh so frustrating. I need to take pictures of them mid tantrum so I have proof to show them when they are older. My kids will throw a tantrum for anything and the sad thing is they are 10 yrs old and almost 5 yrs old.

19. Linda Rush says

A mother of 12 children once told me, if they don’t go through it as toddlers, they’ll go through it later, and earlier is better than later. As a mom of 9 myself, I have to agree :)

20. Hey, you have a normal 2 yr old! And I woulda liked to smack that 3 yr old in the face ;). Just kidding of course. I love these moments b/c it reminds us that kids are kids, and moms on blogs are also real moms! She’s so cute in her tutu!
    lisacng @ expandng.com´s last blog post ..Point-and-shoot camera series: features and photos

21. Cristina says

I love your blog!! Your pictures are so gorgeous. Thank you for sharing what settings you use on each photo– it’s helping me learn a ton!

22. Ashley says

“a portrait of courage”
    Ashley´s last blog post ..Ten Months

23. Jenny G says

This made me laugh right out loud. I feel your pain. My back likes to go out, only to the point of not walking or being able to hold and care for my kids. And I have a little one the same age, but it’s my third, and I think I’ve learned my bad mom lessons and I’ve just stopped doing “fun” things. I’m ready to give it another shot when the weather warms up…I think!
    Jenny G´s last blog post ..Kristen & Family {Cleveland Family Photographer}

24. Haha! Oh goodness… I am so sorry! Today I ran errands with my 3 girls (4 years old, almost 3 and 10 months old), as soon as we got in Target I had one crying because she didn’t want to walk, and another holding herself saying “Momma! My peepee’s coming out!” Augh! Seriously?! Happy to say we are back home now :) Motherhood… it can be interesting to say the least!
    Bobbie Brown´s last blog post ..Short and Sweet