On The Day Baby Kellan Was Born

The thought of shooting a birth has always been very intimidating to me.  I’ve never even experienced it myself having c-sections with both of my kids.  Yet, I was so intrigued by it.  With a wedding you get to document some pretty powerful emotions, but after shooting so many you know what’s coming next.  You know what to look for.  With a birth you can’t control anything.  The light.  The timing.  The raw emotions.  It seemed like it would be a challenge.

When my long time client and friend, Ashley, approached me about it she couldn’t even get the whole question out before I volunteered to shoot it.  She’s the perfect birth client for me.  She’s easy going, works as a postpartum nurse, and I’m so comfortable with her and Tyson that I knew it would be a once in a lifetime experience for me.  And the fact that they didn’t know what they were having made it that much more exciting.

I’m so grateful to Ashley and Tyson for allowing me to share it.  I went into the day thinking I was just going to document it.  I was going to sit in the corner and not say a word.  I wanted it to be all about them and I just wanted to be a silent observer.  That didn’t last for long.  All of their family and friends were so welcoming and I felt like a part of the family.  We were laughing so hard over You Tube videos.  It was just the greatest day.  I’m so happy Kellan decided to make his appearance when I was able to be there.

I love telling people’s stories.  That’s why I’m a photographer.  And this might be my most favorite story I’ve told.

Comments

1. Melissa says

This is stunning. Beautiful work as always, Drew! Congratulations to the family, and to you one flawlessly capturing your first birth. 🙂

2. Sarah says

Pure perfection!!!! You are so amazing at what you do I don’t know why you were intimidated!!! It’s my most favorite thing to photograph EVER!!!!

3. courtney says

births are my absolute favorite thing to capture! you did a wonderful job! what a beautiful family!!

4. Becky says

Beautiful! How lucky is this family that you were able to capture this for them. Fantastic job!

5. erica says

Everything about this made me smile! Amazing and stunning! I hope one day I get the chance to tell someone’s birth story through pictures! Great job!

6. Lisa says

Aw! Drew! So beautiful! You did an amazing job!

7. Melissa says

Absolutely beautiful, brought me to tears!

8. Brandi Gable says

Those are beautiful photos they will cherish forever! You did an excellent job.
    What is the name of that song in the video? I love it. Goes great with the pictures.

9. Cathy C. says

This is the best, most emotional photo set I have ever seen. Because of eclampsia, I don’t remember my own daughter’s birth. You captured some phenomenol moments for this family. It brought me to tears. Pure perfection.

10. Such a beautiful collection of photographs. Makes me wish I did the same for the birth of my kids! 🙂 Awesome job!!
    Nicole Banuelos´s last blog post ..Lace + Coral = Perfection!

11. Oh.my.goodness. Drew, these are incredibly beautiful!!!!! I am in love!